MARCHE DU NAIN ROUGE
SUNDAY, MARCH 25, 2012, 1 P.M – 7 P.M.
The Marche du Nain Rouge will return to banish the red dwarf who has haunted Detroit for more than 300 years!
We’re bringing more than 2,000 revelers to the Cass Corridor to return Detroit’s folkloric tradition of banishing the “Nain Rouge”or the red dwarf who has haunted Detroit for more than 300 years.
Prior to the event
- Traffic Jam & Snug will have a crawl fish boil on Saturday March 24, a traditional Mardis Gras-esque culinary tradition.
- The morning of the Marche, City Bird and Nest will have a costume making party and several bars in the Midtown area will be having special drinks, such as Bronx Bar’s special Bloody Marys.
1 p.m. – OPENING CEREMONIES
- Gathering at the Traffic Jam Parking Lot for the opening ceremony
- Community-created chariots built by Detroit neighborhood organizations and other revelers who want to rid Detroit of the Nain Rouge.
MARCHE DU NAIN ROUGE
- The procession will lead revelers through North Cass Corridor and down
- The Detroit Party Marching Band will lead the procession of two- thousand-some marchers, community-created and neighborhood-inspired chariots and theatrics galore.
- The march will conclude on Temple Street, where revelers will banish the Nain Rouge and rid Detroit of its woes.
Près la Fête
- This year’s official près la fête will take place inside the Masonic Temple’s Fountain Ballroom. It will include:
- Jams with DJ Amy Dreamcatcher, Lady Fantastic and DJ MV
- Food provided by Slows-to-Go
- Drinks for adults and kids
- Youth activities.
Merchandise Available at the Près la Fête include:
- City Bird selling t-shirts with new designs by cartoonist Michael Burdick and other gear such as pendants, stickers and pins
- 555 gallery selling artist-crafted Nain Rouge sculptures
- Detroit City FC selling soccer t-shirts and season tickets
- Author Josef Bastain selling and signing limited edition gold foil seal copies of his book Nain Rouge.
- A percentage of the proceed from all merchandise benefits the Marche both now and in the future!
Stay tuned here or on Facebook for more details as we announce them.
The Marche du Nain Rouge is calling for all Detroiters to get involved! Anyone is invited to join the Marche. For those who want to get involved by building a chariot or performing at the Marche in any way (marching band, belly dancing, miming, etc.) please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org